What is a Periodontist?
Periodontists are dental specialists whose expertise encompasses the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal disease (disease of the gum and bone around the teeth and dental implants), as well as the placement of dental implants. Periodontists receive an additional three years of extensive training and education beyond the four years of dental school.
At Halifax Periodontics and Implants, we use the latest techniques and technology to treat periodontal disease and enhance your smile through cosmetic procedures and dental implants.
Learn more about periodontal care by calling us at (902) 406-gums (4867).
What we do
- We treat diseases of the supporting structures of the teeth.
- We believe that periodontal disease is a preventable disease for most people, and we aim to educate and empower patients to improve their oral health.
- We work with your dentist using a TEAM approach to improve and maintain your oral health.
Who Should See a Periodontist?
“Many patients can benefit from treatment by a trained specialist with a greater understanding and higher level of expertise. This is increasingly the case as more patients are exhibiting signs of periodontal disease, coupled with research that suggests a relationship between periodontal disease and other chronic diseases.”
“If you have moderate or severe level of periodontal disease or a complex case, your treatment is best managed by a partnership between your dentist and a periodontist.”
I may need to see a periodontist if ….
- I need to replace all my teeth
- I can’t chew well
- I have a dental implant
- I have loose teeth
- I have red gums
- I have Black/White Buildup at the gum-line
- The Root of my Tooth is Showing
- I have thick looking gums
- I am showing too much gum
- I have diabetes
- I have heart disease
- I have bad breath
- have dry mouth
- I have bleeding gums
- I have missing teeth
- My mouth tastes bad
- I have been diagnosed with gum disease before
WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR MOUTH TO LOOK LIKE IN 20, 30, 40 YEARS? HOW YOU TREAT YOUR GUMS TODAY WILL AFFECT THE WAY THEY LOOK, FEEL AND WORK LATER IN LIFE. A GREAT PERIODONTIST CAN HELP PREVENT PERIODONTAL DISEASE FROM TAKING OVER YOUR GUMS AND TEETH.
JUST LIKE IN MEDICINE, YOU HAVE A DOCTOR AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE A SPECIALIST.
DENTISTRY IS THE SAME.
PEOPLE NEED A DENTIST AND MANY ALSO NEED A SPECIALIST.
BUT YOU NEED BOTH…
- Save teeth when possible
- Improve oral health
- Improve oral comfort
- Oral health is connected to overall health
- Work with individuals and any limitations they may have to reach their oral and overall health goals
- Professionalism and mutual respect is key to successful working relationships
- Be courteous, non-judgmental and kind
- STAY UP TO DATE AND PROVIDE TOP QUALITY CARE
- Provide a clean and professional environment in which you can feel comfortable
- Go above and beyond in every way
Extensively trained in placing dental implants!
At Halifax Periodontics and Implants, we work closely with your general dentist. We believe the team approach provides the best possible oral health care of our patients.