Dr. Stacey Matheson, BSc, DDS, MSc, Dip Perio, FRCD(C)
Dr. Matheson grew up in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia in the east coast coal mining town of Glace Bay. She moved to Halifax to attend University. She is “kinda famous” in the dental community because she first became a dental assistant (NSCCIT – 1989) and then a dental hygienist (Dalhousie – 1994) and then a dentist (Dalhousie – 2000) and then a specialist (University of British Columbia – 2003). Along the way, she also achieved her Bachelors of Science Degree in Biology graduating with distinction (Dalhousie 1996). Upon graduation from specialty school with a Masters in Science and a Diploma in Periodontics, she went on to become “Board Certified” by undergoing rigorous written and oral examinations by the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. She continues on her learning journey by frequenting high level continuing education courses across North America and making associations with the best researchers and clinicians in the field. She has also taught at the Dalhousie Dental School both in the undergraduate school for dentists and the specialty Periodontics program.
Dr. Matheson loves what she does. She learned as a dental assistant and later as a dental hygienist, that she could make in impact on patients oral health and grew an intense appreciation for preventative dentistry and well understands the ling between oral and overall health. She is a passionate educator of her patients and also loves to share her knowledge with colleagues by guest lecturing and being the founder of a study club for dental hygienists.
When Dr. Matheson is married to Jamie, another Cape Bretoner, and has three children, ages 20, 18 and 12. She loves spending time outdoors, especially at her cottage in Cape Breton and she loves gardening, walking her dog Charlie, reading, painting, and playing – you guessed it – the Cape Breton Fiddle.
- The American Academy of Periodontology Prize for outstanding student in Clinical Periodontics
- Atlantic Society of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency on Periodontics
- Canadian Academy of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency in Periodontics
- Kathleen McAnulty Memorial Prize in Graduate Periodontics
- Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care Prize for greatest proficiency in Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care
- The Doctor FA Godsoe Prize for greatest proficiency in Cariology I
- NSDA Prize for greatest proficiency in Cardiology II
- Canadian Associated Dental Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Occlusion and neuromuscular function
- Canadian Association of Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Fixed Prosthodontics.
- J Stanley Bagnell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd year dentistry.
- JD MacLean Scholarship for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd year dentistry
- Charles Bell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 2nd year dentistry Faculty of Dentistry Scholarship for highest grade point average in 2nd year dentistry
- Graduate Teaching Award (UBC) for outstanding teaching.
- Best Presentation Student Seminar Series Master of Science Category
- Canadian Dental Association Award in recognition of outstanding qualities of leadership, scholarship characters and humanity during dental studies.
Associations / Societies
American Academy of Periodontology
Canadian Dental Association
Atlantic Society of Periodontology
University of British Columbia Alumni
Canadian Academy of Periodontology
Royal College of Dentists of Canada
Nova Scotia Dental Association
Aim For Excellence Seattle Study Club
Halifax County Dental Society
Request an Appointment or Ask Us a Question
Have a question about one of our services? Curious about pricing or insurance coverage? Give us a call or fill out the form below and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as possible.